Thursday, November 29, 2018

Wooden Fish Weathervanes

Wooden Weathervanes, A fish Story
Every fish story has a beginning.  In or around 1997 I started down the path of building the first of two wooden kayaks.  The format is referred to as "stitch and glue" based on the use of Okume plywood panels, a thin veneer cut to a shape, "stitched" together with a copper wire and opened to a shape, and finally glued with epoxy and fiber glass.  Epoxy and varnish go together for wood that has any place in the outside world.  Wood is inherently weak. Sun, water, wind and time all degrade wood to a grey mass destined for decomposition without protection from the elements.  Wood is readily available. There are hundreds of tools to shape, glue and transform flat boards into something to sit on or float inside of.
Wooden Fish Weathervane
Koi installation. Woodland, California, November 2017. Red Cedar, sheet metal fins, approximate size,  48" nose to tail and 14" dorsal to pectoral fin


Epoxy is a hard exterior shell that protects wood from water intrusion, rot, dents and dings. It comes in various tints.  Clear appears best to give the natural wood a "wet" look to the natural grain and texture.  That is good.  But, the sun will have its way with epoxy in a short time. Oxidation from UV rays degrade the epoxy and in time the beauty of the wood is compromised and destined for decomposition. Wood likes to expand and contract.  Epoxy is solid and inflexible for the most part and much has been written on the use of varnish to complete the protective coating of wood.  Adding coats of varnish to epoxy provides UV protection and a flexible outer layer that can expand and contract as woods respond to heating and cooling, expanding and contracting. Wooden kayaks need the strength of epoxy/fiber glass to protect it and varnish to protect the epoxy.  With that background, wood for the fish was a definite choice.
Enter Furniture making.  I had a shop that I made. It now sits full of junk stored at my former residence.  I designed and assisted in the construction of the heated, well lit space that was home to wide open space to build and design furniture.  It was exactly what I wanted and a loss that probably will never be replaced.  An asset in the column of my past relationship. So, I escaped with the tools, saws, planes, jointer and dust collection system to a small two car garage and now to a larger three car garage with adequate, light, power for the saw and dust system and short on heat in the winter. The shop was nice and I left the space not using tools for any real purpose other than making a cutting board or two in a decade or so.
The return to making things was kind of slow and interspersed with lots of bike riding, motorcycle riding, boating and skiing. I found my significant other and we shared a common interest in furniture.  Before we ever dated, we were talking on the phone and she explained that she had built two chairs and asked if I had ever heard of a "Morris chair." I explained that I had and I asked if her chairs  were more arts and crafts, Greene and Greene or Stickley?  She explained Morris chair and I revealed that I had built 4 Morris chairs in the Stickley style, spindle sides, two rocking chairs, a cal king bed, side tables, tables and more.  All Stickley.  The deal was sealed when I told her I had a square chisel mortiser.  Anyone who has made mortise and tenon joints knows the value of  a square chisel machine.
So, how does this tie into wooden fish? Tools, and the use of epoxy and varnish. Next the rest of the fish story.

No comments:

Post a Comment